News clipping – Eyewitness News – 25 October 2010
No free marks for matrics
Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga on Sunday said her department has done everything in its power to ensure this year’s matric exams run smoothly and expected results to remain steady.
Grade 12 pupils started writing their first examinations – Information Technology and Computer Application Technology – at 9am on Monday.
Several catch-up initiatives were put in place to ensure pupils completed the Grade 12 syllabus after teaching delays caused by the FIFA World Cup and the protracted public servants’ strike.
Motshekga reiterated there would be no leniency and no extra marks, saying matriculants do not need any extra help if they have studied hard.
Motshekga wished the pupils well as they started writing exams.
Celebrity TV teacher William Smith shared his advice with the youngsters.
The Western Cape Education Department has increased security at Hanover Park schools following a spike in gang violence.
Four people have been killed in the area over the past two weeks.
Education MEC Donald Grant said police would be on duty at schools in the area during the matric exams.
Meanwhile in the Eastern Cape officials have held a mass day of prayer ahead of the exams. Last year the province obtained a 51 percent pass rate but they are hoping for a 10 percent improvement this year.
The Education Department’s spokesperson Sithembele Zibi said, “Apart from praying for success, it also serves to motivate the learners to study, read and try to conquer all of the problems they might have had in the course of the year that might have stood in the way of success.
By Imraan Karolia